The growing diversity of the Quebec population has raised many new concerns within the health care and social services network, in particular in terms of adaptation of services, communication barriers, conflicting values and differences in health perceptions and practices. Almost 10 years ago, the research team Migrations et ethnicité dans les interventions de santé et de service social (Migrations and Ethnicity in Health and Social Services Interventions), directed by Catherine Gail Montgomery from Centre de santé et de services sociaux de la Montagne, first developed a basic intercultural training program aimed at providing a better comprehension of the complexity inherent in providing services in a multiethnic context. This research team includes researchers in management, family medicine, communication, psychology, sociology, social service and nursing science.
This training session is updated on a regular basis to allow the integration of the most recent research results and the latest statistics, and the addition of new clinical cases. It is regularly offered to various staff members at the Centre de santé et services sociaux de la Montagne and community workers. In addition, new versions adapted to different contexts have been created recently, in response to requests from other practice settings. These pertain to telephone intervention in a context of diversity, and management in a diverse environment. An e-learning component has also been developed to facilitate the assimilation of the educational material.
The research team's intercultural training sessions are now officially recognized by the Ministry for Immigration and Cultural Communities and the Ministry of Health and Social Services. Following an agreement with the Montreal Health and Social Services Agency, the training will be presented to the practitioners and administrators of the entire Montreal region health care and social services network. As a result, while some 650 people have received the training since 2003, more than 460 more will benefit in 2010-2011.
Équipe de recherche Migrations et ethnicité dans les interventions de santé et de service social
Catherine Gail Montgomery, Centre de santé et de services sociaux de la Montagne
- Sylvie Gravel, Université du Québec à Montréal
- Vania Jimenez, Université McGill
- Josiane Le Gall, Centre de santé et de services sociaux de la Montagne
- Yvan Leanza, Université Laval
- Marie Munoz, Centre de santé et de services sociaux de la Montagne
- Marie-Jo Ouimet, Centre de santé et de services sociaux de la Montagne
- Lilyane Rachedi, Université du Québec à Montréal
- Guylaine Racine, Université de Montréal
- Jacques Rhéaume, Université du Québec à Montréal
- Ellen Rosenberg, McGill University
- Jean-François Saucier, CHU Ste-Justine
- Bilkis Vissandjée, Université de Montréal
- Spyridoula Xenocostas, Centre de santé et de services sociaux de la Montagne