Education staff account for almost 6% of the active workforce Canada. A total of more than 400,000 people work in the school system, the vast majority of whom interact directly with students. Understanding the training and working conditions of these education professionals is therefore indispensable to a proper definition of the education system as a whole.
The Groupe de recherche sur les professions de l'enseignement en milieu scolaire (Research Group on Teaching Professions in Schools) directed by Maurice Tardif from Université de Montréal, studies the work environment of those who work within the school system, both the teachers themselves and the numerous other professionals such as resource teachers, administrators, physical education educators, day care technicians, etc. More specifically, the research group is taking a close look at their practices, culture and professional identity.
The research group's work has been widely disseminated within various school communities, and has proven to be of interest to the Conseil supérieur de l'Éducation, the Association des enseignantes du primaire du Québec, the Ministry of Education, Leisure and Sport, and the Council of Ministers of Education Canada. At the university level, it has led to improvements in teacher training programs in universities throughout Quebec. In 2010, Maurice Tardif and Louis LeVasseur published La division du travail éducatif (Presses universitaires de France), an analysis of the organization of education in North America and Europe.
Furthermore, the group's researchers collaborate actively with education organizations such as the Carrefour national de l'insertion professionnelle en enseignement and various teaching associations. They are also working on the establishment of an international network of research centres.
Groupe de recherche sur les professions de l'enseignement en milieu scolaire
Maurice Tardif, Université de Montréal
- Cecilia Borges, Université de Montréal
- Monica Cividini, Université du Québec à Chicoutimi
- Enrique Alfonso Correa Molina, Université de Sherbrooke
- Sandra Coulombe, Université du Québec à Chicoutimi
- Jean-François Desbiens, Université de Sherbrooke
- Colette Gervais, Université de Montréal
- Louis Levasseur, Université Laval
- Annie Malo, Université de Montréal
- Stéphane Martineau, Université du Québec à Trois-Rivières
- Joséphine Mukamurera, Université de Sherbrooke
- Ahmed Zourhlal, Université du Québec à Chicoutimi