Some parents do not respond or have difficulty to meet the fundamental needs of their children. We can then speak of child neglect. The Groupe de recherche et d'intervention sur la négligence envers les enfants (Child Neglect Research and Intervention Group), directed by Carl Lacharité from Université du Québec à Trois-Rivières, is helping Quebec family and children's services establishments to transform their programs and practices for the prevention of child neglect and for intervention when child neglect situations do arise. This research group includes researchers in nursing science, psychology and education.
The research group has developed an in-depth understanding of the mechanisms which, in Western societies, push certain people to neglect their children, the consequences of this behaviour on child development, and the strengths and weaknesses that characterize social and institutional practices.
Far from restricting themselves to theory, the research group has contributed to the development of a set of innovative practices whose objective is to prevent and combat child neglect. These practices inspired Quebec's Ministry of Health and Social Services in the development of services for troubled youth. In particular, this has given rise to the creation of the "Programme d'aide personnelle, familiale et communautaire", the "Faire la courte échelle" program and the "Effets des traumatismes relationnels chez l'enfant" program, all of which have been implemented, or are in the process of being implemented, in several Quebec regions. Thousands of children, mothers and fathers have been helped by the work of this research group.
In addition, the researchers' expertise has been exported to other countries including France and Brazil, where the conceptual model they developed for understanding child neglect and their practical model for child neglect intervention serve as references in work pertaining to youth and families in vulnerable situations.
Groupe de recherche et d'intervention sur la négligence envers les enfants
Carl Lacharité, Université du Québec à Trois-Rivières
- Louise Bourassa, Centre jeunesse Mauricie / Centre-du-Québec
- Francine De Montigny, Université du Québec en Outaouais
- Danny Dessureault, Université du Québec à Trois-Rivières
- Nicole Déziel, Maison des familles Chemin du Roi
- Karine Dubois-Comtois, Université du Québec à Trois-Rivières
- Louise Solange Ethier, Université du Québec à Trois-Rivières
- Daniel Gagnon, Centre jeunesse Mauricie / Centre-du-Québec
- Francine Marcil, Centre jeunesse Laval
- Jean-Marc Ménard, Domrémy Mauricie/Centre-du-Québec
- Yves Mercure, Centre jeunesse Mauricie / Centre-du-Québec
- Jean-Marie Miron, Université du Québec à Trois-Rivières
- Stéphane Morin, Université du Québec à Trois-Rivières
- Christine Rivest, Centre de réadaptation en déficience intellectuelle et en troubles envahissants du développement Mauricie / Centre-du-Québec
- Annie Stipanicic, Université du Québec à Trois-Rivières
- Diane St-Laurent, Université du Québec à Trois-Rivières